Thursday, October 25, 2012

Alto Voltage


Alto Voltage is an awesome youth group that takes place at the Open Arms Campus every Friday night. Now this isn't just any youth group, this youth group is GIGANTIC and welcomes kids from miles around. Daniel (married to Heidi, the couple who founded Open Arms) and the High Voltage leadership team drive to 5-6 different stops to pick up and drop off teenagers from destinations that surround La Mision. On the average night, 100 teenagers will attend high Voltage...100!!! The Open Arms campus takes on an entirely different atmosphere compared to it's usual "orderly" environment. With 100 teenagers roaming the grounds it's quite lively and always entertaining. The usual activities consist of teatherball, basketball, foosball, pool and air hockey. The night begins with hanging out outside, continues with worship and a 20 min message and then ends with the "House Sandwich". Every night they serve the classic ham sandwich on white bread and a warm cup up hot co co!

My BFF Jessica came to visit for the weekend and
got to help make the famous house sandwiches!

When I first volunteered to work at Open Arms I knew nothing about High Voltage and therefore had no intentions of getting involved. Fortunately God knew what was up and the High Voltage Leadership team has adopted me as a new member. They all invite me to tag along with them to the beach, nail appointments, family lunches, trips to Ensanada, etc. I love these people! Ranging from age 15 to mid 50s, the High Voltage team is eager to do God's will and to share God's love to the teens of Mexico.

The first week I arrived to Open Arms Daniel presented me with a big task...at the time I was unaware of its grandness. He asked me to plan the decorations for a formal dinner they would be hosting for High Voltage. He said that it would take place in two and a half weeks and that he wanted me to take charge and make it look like a Hollywood premiere. For those of you who know me personally...you will not be surprised when I tell you that I was wide eyed and jumping out of my skin, I live for this stuff. As the previous 2011-2012 ASB Commissioner of Clubs I am quite experienced with decorating, planning and  organizing. I got to work and soon found myself feeling useful and important to the High Voltage team. I had literally been living in Mexico for less than a week and the team was perfectly satisfied with receiving my orders....in my controlling, perfectionistic brain this seemed absurd ,but I was happy to help!

Daniel and Rafa brought along some
 extra help from their Bible College!
It was the eve of the dinner and the High Voltage team piled into my apartment to prep for the big night and to also bake 200 cupcakes for our 100 guests. Remember that I had only been living in Mexico for 3 weeks and my Spanish was far from where it is now (and where it is now is far from fluent!). It was me and about 10 Spanish speakers with google as our translator, lets just say we had some major laughs and mistakes along the way! But God used each moment to welcome me into my new home. By late Thursday night the cupcakes were decorated, the decorations were prepped and we were less than 24 hours away from the Hollywood premiere.

The dinner started at 7 and our decorating began at 3! We thought 3 hours of prep would have been sufficient...but of course things never go according to the plan. We rushed to the finish line and the outcome was just as we had envisioned. 80 teenagers arrived in their best attire, ready to enjoy a night in Hollywood. 


The Lovely Heidi
I too arrived expecting to sit back and enjoy the night that we had all worked so hard to put on. Once again God knew what was up and I was caught in oblivain. Daniel had arranged for his Bible college teacher to speak at the dinner...it was 7:00 and his teacher was no where to be found. Heidi and I were sitting at the table and she looked over at me and said, "Well if she doesn't show up are you ready to give you testimony?" I began to laugh as I thought she was kidding. But after a few short chuckles I realized that she was completely serious. What! These were my peers, kids that had lives unimaginable to me, how could I speak to them? Peace began to overtake me and I knew that I it was going to happen, I could kick and scream but either way God was going to have me speak. After several years of learning, God has taught me that He will have is way in you, its just your decision to decide if it'll be hard or easy. I decided to make it easy for him that night and began praying. I said, "God, you knew this was going to happen and I'm sure glad you did becasue I have no idea what to say! Speak through me!"

Of course he was faithful...so out of character for God right?...NOT! I gave my testimony and explained that God has rewarded me for choosing Him. I also shared my views on some issues that us as teenagers face. Partying is luring but His love endures forever. Sex seems enticing but His love is forever fulfilling. God used me when I least expected it and I was blessed through his surprise. I'm slowly learning to enjoy these spur of the moment deals, they keep it fun, thanks God :)


The dinner was about 3 weeks ago and its seems so distant. At the time the High Voltage teem was merely a group of people who shared a common goal, now they are a group of people who I have grown to love and spend a large amount of time with. I cannot express my gratitude to God. He loves to throw in those extra bonuses...ya know like 20 or more new friends you were totally not expecting! Every day I ask God, "Why me?" "Why did you choose me to work for your kingdom?"

High Voltage only began this past January and is still trying to find new ways to bring more and more kids in to here the gospel. Please pray that God helps the leadership team and that he works in the hearts of the kids here in La Mision.



2 comments:

  1. The blog looks fabulous. We make a good team. Proud of you and what God is doing in your life is amazing to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Julie! Thank you so much for all your help :)

      Delete